Sunday, September 9, 2012

Spotlight: Farron McIntee

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each  Wednesday, Friday and Sunday for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random) 


This is my second year with Team Run to Remember. I have a family connection to Alzheimer’s (my grandfather passed away with dementia, my great uncle passed away with Alzheimer’s disease and my great aunt currently suffers from vascular dementia). While training last year, I was completing my Ph.D. at NYU School of Medicine. My thesis project involved identifying biomarkers and risk factors for Alzheimer’s disease.  This research will be applied to developing techniques for early detection and/or developing therapies. Grants from the Alzheimer’s Association supported my thesis project and allows the work that I started to continue even though I have graduated and moved on from the lab.  I was actually writing my thesis while I was training and completed all requirements about 3 months after I completed the marathon. Now officially a “Dr”, I live, work and train in St. Louis, MO. My current work is involves identifying sources of neuro-inflammation, which can be applied to Alzheimer’s disease treatment.

The Alzheimer’s Association has played such an important role in my life (I spent 5.5 years working on my thesis project) so being a member of Team Run to Remember is a way for me to give back, while honoring my family members and the friends of families of those that support me. I have also made so many amazing friends on the team and so I also wish to honor them and their loved ones! Alzheimer’s disease is a societal and public health crisis thus I feel it is important to continue to raise awareness for Alzheimer’s  and bring attention to the pain that it inflicts on patients and the people that love them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment