Friday, September 14, 2012

Spotlight: Alexis Versandi

Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each  Wednesday, Friday and Sunday for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random) 


My mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s five years ago. It’s incredible how dramatically your life can change with a single piece of news. My grandmother died of the disease five years before, so I thought I knew what to expect when doctors gave our family the diagnosis. In actuality, nothing could truly prepare me for the loss of a parent. For me, and perhaps many others, the really torturous aspect of the disease is witnessing the passing of a loved one over an extended period of time - and there is little you can do. The helplessness is overwhelming.

My mother has always been there – an unwavering source of support, strength and devotion. My memories of her (and us) are still clear. I remember how she skipped (literally) with me to ballet classes. How when I was four she ran, in heels no less, down the streets of New York, carrying me to the doctor as I wailed due to a painful ear infection. I don’t remember the pain, but I remember hugging her neck as I bounced up and down as she ran, one of the only times I ever saw my mother’s pace increase past a leisurely stroll. I remember how she would bundle me and my brother up in the small hours of Thanksgiving morning in preparation for watching the Macy’s Day Parade outside. I remember how she baby-powdered my sandy feet after a day at the beach, how we would eat Smarties together during visits to London, and how we would discuss for long periods of time how to navigate childhood friendships, and later, boyfriend relationships.

For her those memories are no longer clear. Or if they are, they are buried somewhere deep inside and she is unable to communicate them. My last birthday, I explained over dinner what day it was, which usually would have resulted in her recounting the hours of labour and days spent recuperating in the hospital. Instead this time, there was a blank stare.

The memories of my mother are a stark reminder of how different things are and will continue to be. I know she will never see me get married, something that would have made her incredibly happy. I know that my future husband and children will never know how truly wonderful she was. And if I could do anything to bring her back, I would. But as I cannot, I will continue to hug her as many times as I can, hoping it has the same power to comfort us as it did before, and to commit myself to helping ensure that a cure is found for this horrendous disease and that support is given to those suffering.

This November I will run the New York City Marathon with team Run2Remember. While it won’t be in heels(!), it will be honoring all those affected by Alzheimer’s, especially my mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment