Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Spotlight: Paul Oliu


Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random) 


My dad, Ramon Oliu
We have always referred to my dad as an extraordinary ordinary guy.  Born in a small village in Spain, he managed to study his way to becoming a chemical and petroleum engineer, travelling the world, founding a marathon and writing a book.  He raised 7 children, all of whom have kids of their own… and along the way, got hooked into running.  Hooked may not be the word.  Addicted.  That’s probably a more apt description of his affection for running long distance.


When he was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s back in 1995, I moved back home to help my mom and take care of him for “a couple of months.”  Four years later, I drove him to a nursing home where he lived until his passing on April 3rd, 2005.  To this day, it remains one of the worst days in my life.


Interestingly enough, when my dad was diagnosed, he chose to fight the disease by doing what he knew was the best medicine.  That was to run.  And he ran and ran.  Short distances, long distances, and often.   In fact he ran until the disease made him forget about running altogether. And then he never ran again.


The whole idea of running the NYC Marathon started with my niece, Rebecca.  Living in New York, she watched the 2011 edition and thought, “if these people can do it, so can I.”  Over Christmas, she made the comment to several of us, and the idea stuck.  Rebecca, my nephew Andrew and I are now committed to running.  Honestly, I think we would have all been happier if my dad pursued chess as a hobby.  But that’s not the case.


While not all of us are running, this is a family affair.  I asked for input on this post and my brother John, who ran the Barcelona Marathon in 2001, wrote the following –


He was musical, spoke many languages, loved poetry and loved all that was beautiful.  I will always remember him showing me how his deck railing cast such a beautiful shadow on the lawn.  He was impatient, and stubborn, always seemed to move like time was running out.  I always picture him walking briskly to somewhere, usually dressed nicer than the occasion called for, with one hand in his pocket, a pamphlet or paper curled up in his other hand and usually whistling a tune. The somewhere could have been to church or work or to a store or just about anywhere.  He was always in a hurry to get whatever done.   I recall not so many years ago when I finally had enough money to buy some decent furniture and I got a recliner.  I sat in it and said "for my Dad, a photo of me in this reclined state would be the epitome of wasted time!” Always thinking, he never stopped thinking.  Proud but not boastful.  Accomplished but humble. Selfish in some ways but generous and giving in others. Funny, in a very quirky way. Loved to turn the meaning of a word to make a joke. A person who no doubt was shaped by his tough childhood, demanding father, and lack of means. 


Among his many accomplishments my dad was the founder of the Barcelona Marathon.  We moved to Spain in the late 70’s and in the absence of a race, he decided to start one.  The first race in 1978 had 178 runners. In 2012 there were 19,455 registered runners for the race.  While working, raising a family and organizing the marathon, he also managed to write one of the first books on running in Catalan, called L’Essencia del Correr, or The Essence of Running.
Me, finishing the 2012 Cupids Chase
In 2001, as a family we ran the Barcelona Marathon to honor his accomplishments.  After he passed, a group of his friends in Spain organized the Ramon Oliu Memorial 10k.  It is now in its 8th edition.  And soon, the city of Barcelona will be naming a street after him.


But why the NYC Marathon?  My dad ran the race a few times.  But he also brought a team of Catalan runners to participate each year while living in Spain.  The team placed third one year, surprising many in the running community. And he became friendly with Fred Lebow of the New York Road Runners Club.  The question should probably be why haven’t we run the NYC Marathon yet? 


My dad has since passed for a few years now, but I would like to think that on November 4th, team R2R will beat this despicable disease … if only for a day.  Not just for my dad, but for all the moms and dads, aunts and uncles, brothers and sisters, and friends and family who continue to battle with dignity and grace against Alzheimer’s.


Now, off for a run.

1 comment: