Thursday, July 19, 2012

Spotlight: Alana Peralta


Each week we will be picking members to spotlight to tell their Alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each Wednesday, Friday and Sunday for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random) 


As I look back at my childhood, I can honestly say that I was raised by Alzheimer’s Disease-it made me the woman I am today. When I was 13 years old, my father was diagnosed with early on set. At the time, I had no idea how much it was going to change my life. As a teenager, it was extremely hard having to explain to friends why I had to stay home and take care of my father on a Saturday night or why my father was ripping his pampers off in the living room every time they came over. They simply didn’t get it. In reality, neither did I. It wasn’t until junior year in High school that I stopped trying to be a ‘normal’ kid. Sleep overs? After school activities? Softball? They all quickly became history. I had way more important things to worry about, making sure my father drank his medicine every night without pouring his cup of milk on my head was one of them.

My father became the main focus in my life. This gift, as I often call it, allowed me to value and cherish every moment I had with my dad. Although I often became angry with the life I was “given”, I never lost faith.
 
He was a strong man, the strongest man I’ve ever known. It wasn’t until March 12th, 2012 that he gave up the battle against Alzheimer’s disease. Not only did I lose my father, but I lost part of my self. After all, Alzheimer’s is all I have known for the past 11 years.

When I received an email from the Alzheimer’s Association asking for people to apply for spots on the team, I decided to apply. The most I’ve ran in my life is a 5k. In my mind, I was convinced I wasn’t going to get accepted, but I knew running would be a perfect way to deal with my emotions and honor my father.

As I prepare for the Marathon, I plan on leaving all the tears, childhood insecurities, and doubts on the pavement as I make my way to the finish line on November 4th, 2012. I am extremely excited to run with the Team Run 2 Remember, it was been amazing discovering that I was never alone in this fight again Alzheimer’s. 

No comments:

Post a Comment