Tuesday, September 22, 2009

SPOTLIGHT: Jeremy Ruberg

Each week we will be picking three (3) members to spotlight to tell their alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each day or week for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)

SPOTLIGHT: Jeremy Ruberg

My grandmother Ursula Brunn was a great grandmother. Starting when I was ten years old, I would travel a the the end of the summer to Buffalo NY to spend time with her and my grandfather. While my grandfather was busy at work, my grandmother and I would have lots of fun together. She would take me museums and shows. We would go good shopping and then come home and cook together. For many years, we spent countless hours of quality time together. Visiting Buffalo at the end of the summer and hanging out with Grandma, as she was affectionately known, was one of my favorite experiences of my childhood.

Sadly, over time, Grandma began to lose her energy and memory and the woman who I came to know began to slowly slip away. The loss was certainly painful for me but even more so for my grandfather, Papa. As Grandma's condition worsened, Papa's devotion to her never wavered and his love never ceased. He was her caretaker and partner till the very end. My Grandma overcame the horrors of the Holocaust, made a life here in the United States, and raised a wonderful family in partnership with my Papa that was an integral part of the Buffalo Jewish community. Sadly, Alzheimer's was one challenge they could not overcome.


Therefore, I am running for them. I am running for my Grandma who suffered from this terrible disease and in honor of my Papa who like so many loved ones who give their heart and soul in caring for those those affected by Alzheimer's. I know that the run will be challenging, but none of my training can be anywhere nearly as hard as the challenges they overcame together. They are my inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment