Friday, September 4, 2009

SPOTLIGHT: Erin Eininger

Each week we will be picking three (3) members to spotlight to tell their alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each day or week for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)

SPOTLIGHT: Erin Eininger

Big Boss on the Big Job.

My Grampa was an engineer; a technical man. He could tell you all the facts you need to know on the Cleveland Indians, air purification systems, golf, maps, etc. He played rummy like a master and every morning he did the jumble and the crossword puzzle from the Cleveland Plain Dealer while whistling to 1940's tunes that I never knew. In 2001, my intelligent, funny, interesting, active Grampa was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. At that point, I don’t think that my family realized the impact that this horrific disease was going to have on each and every one of us but mostly on my Gramma. She had to learn how to pump gas and pay bills amongst many other things that my Grampa would simply take care of throughout their marriage. The feeling of helplessness at the fact that I was slowly seeing my Grampa slip-away motivated me to join the Junior Committee in 2008. I needed to feel empowered. I needed to feel like I was doing all that I can to end this thing.

While running a marathon was not on my 2009 To-Do list, when the JC found out that we (finally) got numbers, I could not say no!

I'm running the marathon for the 49 other marathoners committed in a journey to end Alzheimer's. I'm running the marathon for the Junior Committee - because the positive impact that we all have on so many lives is inspiring. I'm running the marathon for my Eema whose Dad today is nothing like the Dad she remembers as a child. But mainly I’m running for my Grampa and my Gramma who are simply incredible.

No comments:

Post a Comment