Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Spotlight - Malcolm Williams

My Mom, Peggy Williams, was an accomplished musician. She graduated from Hart School of Music with a degree in voice. Mom had a beautiful soprano voice expressed through opera, theater and church to name a few.  Also, she played six instruments and acted in many plays. She was a huge patron of the arts.

Unfortunately, our story is not unique. Alzheimer's robs us all of strong, talented and intelligent family members. I don't know exactly what David meant in the 23rd Psalm when he said, "though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death", but I feel that sums up the effect of Alzheimer's. I see the light in my Mom slowly dim. It is so heartbreaking.

I read that a lot of the ATEA team are running their first marathon on behalf of their loved one. What a significant beginning in a World Class marathon for a fantastic cause. I, on the other hand, will probably run my last marathon. After many dozens of marathons, I can think of no better marathon to finish my marathon career. This will be my greatest marathon!  This one's for you Mom.

(I'll still keep running half marathons and my favorite the 15k)


No comments:

Post a Comment