Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Spotlight: Judy Schuchart

Judy Schuchart: After the 2009 ING NYC Marathon

As many of you know, last year I ran the New York City Marathon in order to raise funds for the research necessary to find a cure for Alzheimer’s disease. This was in honor of my Dad who was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s over 6 years ago.

On June 15, 2010, my Dad passed away, leaving an emptiness that is difficult to express. Although I had already signed up for this year’s marathon, honestly I was thinking of withdrawing my registration. I was working a lot of hours, traveling a lot, trying to plan a wedding, and just lots going on. The early morning training runs just seemed unbearable. Then, during the week of my Dad’s funeral, the reminders of my Dad working 3rd shift, then coming home and working on the farm all day in order to make sure his 11 kids were well cared for, made my excuses of not wanting to get up early seem pretty lame.

So….in memory of my Dad, Lester Leese, and the love, motivation, and support that he always provided, I will once again be running in the New York City marathon this year, on November 7, 2010 in order to raise funds to cure Alzheimer’s disease. Through our fundraising, if we can prevent one more person, one more caregiver, or one more family member from having to endure the pain that this disease causes, it is worth every step of the 26.2 miles!

If you would like to contribute to the cause, please see the website at http://2010teamr2r.kintera.org/judy .

No comments:

Post a Comment