Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Spotlight: Elias Cohen

Each week we will be picking three (3) members to spotlight to tell their alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each day or week for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)

SPOTLIGHT: Elias Cohen

My Grandfather Morris Cohen began suffering from Alzheimer's late in my teens. He had been the patriarch of our family -- leading Passover Seder in joyous song as our family Cantor, charming all the women of Delray with his happy demeanor and just being a fun-loving guy. Seeing him lose all that and just kinda fade away was heartbreaking. I run this marathon to remember him. When I hit that wall at mile 19 (and hopefully not sooner...), the pain will be nothing compared to that which he endured.

I met my wife 6 years ago and when she moved to New York she quickly became active in New York's Alzheimer's Association Junior Committee -- chairing the annual gala and serving as Vice President. She lost both of her grandfathers to Alzheimer's -- Tony "Papou" Karas and Ralph Shepard. Together we have made Alzheimer's personal enemy number one -- fighting it through raising both money and social awareness.

This is my first marathon. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment