Thursday, August 6, 2009

SPOTLIGHT:Laura Charecky

Each week we will be picking three (3) members to spotlight to tell their alzheimer's story and why they are running in this year's New York City marathon. Check in each day or week for new updates on who will be spotlighted and get to know your teammates...(each person is picked at random)

SPOTLIGHT: Laura Charecky

I'm running for my great grandmother and my husband's grandfather. I was young when my great grandmother was struggling with Alzheimer's and she lived in Illinois.
We would visit a couple of times a year. I remember visiting her once and we had so much fun playing and reading stories. The next time we visited her, she didn't remember me and I could not understand why. How come we had so much fun together the last time I saw her and now she could not even remember my name? I was extremely distraught by this as a small child. Even though I was small I can remember the look on her face when I ran into her room at the nursing home... complete confusion.
I was training for last year's marathon when I found out I was pregnant with my 3 month old son Alexander. I did not run last year, so I wanted to make this run extra special by raising money for Alzheimer's research so that hopefully Alexander will never have to see that look of confusion on any of his loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment